- Don’t be rude, don’t be toxic, or respond to trolls. I remove any bad stuff when we see it.
- Respect and help me not by replying to bad comments, but by flagging bad comments.
- Got a correction or suggestion for an article? Use the contact page to let me know. Or just post in the comments of the article.
- Spoilers are welcomed in the comments. No one is allowed to complaint about spoilers.
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY
Here’s a list of things that will get your comment removed and might get your account banned. This is not a comprehensive list and I reserve the right to remove anything I deem inappropriate and that skirts the boundaries of good taste. See any of the stuff below? You can help me out by flagging (more on that below).
- Posting spoilers: I welcome all spoilers in comments in here or in my social media posts. You came for spoilers, you’ll get spoilers. Anyone complaining about it will be summarily dismissed.
- Spam: Zero tolerance! If it comes from a human or a robot, spam will be deleted. This includes self-promotion. Generally speaking, promoting your projects, YouTube channel, website or copy pasting entire articles/scans from other sites will be treated like any other spam on Novel Spoiler. It goes bye-bye.
- Personal attacks: Don’t attack or insult another user. It’s not helpful and it doesn’t make Novel Spoiler a friendly place. This includes referring to other people as trolls, fanboys, sheep, white knights, etc. If you’re thinking of using a specific term such as a racial or derogatory insult, think again about why that’s a bad idea, and don’t do it.
- Illegal activities: If you post links to fan translations, scanlation groups, or projects then it too will be removed. You can name them by name but strictly no linking to sites. Can’t risk my favourite series being taken down by the author for unauthorize translations.
- NSFW material: Nope, not allowed. Even images or links that could be considered borderline are not acceptable. A good rule of thumb is that anything beyond PG-13 will get you in trouble, but I reserve the right to remove any post I deem offensive/inappropriate. This goes for pornographic material, vile language, gore and generally gross stuff.
- Racism, sexism, and other discrimination: Attacking entire classes of people is not cool. However, I may give an exception if it is a remark towards characters in a novel/manhwa in the context the world in the story for the sake of discussion. But if it starts a comment war then I will stamp it out immediately.
- Trolling: If you’re making off-topic comments, taking threads off-topic, or posting flamebait, you’re likely to find that your post has suddenly disappeared. Trolling may be fun for the person that’s doing it but not for everyone else.
- Offensive usernames: If your username contains language or terms that could be construed as offensive/inappropriate. You will be banned from commenting until you change your username. Contact me to get yourself unban after changing your username to something appropriate.
- Complaining about articles: This is very subjective, but I hope you can understand. While I am not against discussions of my articles or comments, any comments containing plainly stated accusations of bias, complaints about the frequency of articles on a topic, complaints about whether something is reviewing, and complaints about the abundant of spoilers everywhere are usually an indication that you’re not trying to be a productive member of the community. I’ll have to remove posts to get conversation back on track. This also applies to review scores.
- Complaining about moderation: See “Moderation” below.
- Site bashing: Whether it’s Novel Spoiler, or another website – don’t bash them or their staff. It’s not cool and it’s disrespectful to a lot of people. Exception of course for scanlation groups that copy and paste MTL and called it a translation job. Those deserve no respect.
- Abuse of the flag system: If I catch you flagging comments that have no business being flagged because you disagree on semantics but did not break any rules here then you will get a face slap from me.
- “First post” rule: All of the behavior listed above? You could say I’m not fond of it. Especially if I traced out that your account is new, since it tells me that you aren’t here to contribute in any meaningful manner. If your first post breaks the rules above, I’ll usually go ahead and issue a ban. You can appeal by contacting me but you’re better off not getting banned in the first place.
HOW TO POST AND COMMENT
There are two ways to interact on Novel Spoiler or with me (Yoon). Here are the basics, but there’s much more information listed below.
- Post a comment: I love comments, and you can comment as a guest without registering an account on Disqus to comment. The comments are threaded, so you’re able to easily reply to the person you’re talking to.
- Get in touch: Have a news tip? Want to contact the admin (Yoon)? Want to tell me about a site bug or article item that needs correction? You can do all of that right here.
- About moderators: Just me for now, maybe I’ll add more in the future if the need comes.
- Questions about moderation: I’m happy to have a discussion with you about it — in private. If you have a question about moderation, hit me up privately on my various social media channels and we’ll have a talk (don’t bother with Facebook though. I don’t monitor those). If there’s a big policy change or something I would like to say publicly about moderation, I’ll post it in an Announcement post and update this document. Do note that any complaints about moderation or comment removal will also be removed from the comment section in order to keep things on-topic.
- Isn’t this censorship? Well, no and yes. I’m trying to foster great conversation and I will remove comments that harm that endeavor. You’re free to say whatever you like with no boundaries at other places, but not here. At Novel Spoiler I want to maintain a good atmosphere and to keep the conversation informative and fun. The bottom line is that I have the final say on whether it falls within the community policy.
Comments are a lovely way to talk about the stories, spoilers, and reviews you find on Novel Spoiler. They can also be a lot to keep up with, so we have some tools to make it all easier. Novel Spoiler are using a third-party plugin called Disqus to facilitate the commenting feature. Every comment has a few links associated with it:
- Reply: Use this to reply to that specific comment. Your reply will be threaded to that comment.
- Share: Share a specific comment on social media.
- Upvote/Downvote: We love great comments, and we know you do too. Click the “Upvote” icon (^) to vote up a comment and see it get more love and affection from the site. Downvote it if you think it’s a bad comment.
- Flag as inappropriate: This is the link you use to report a post to me. Use it to report spam, personal attacks, or racist and sexist language. Do not use it to report comments you disagree with or to hassle users. If the top comment in a thread is a problem, I may remove it, and that will remove all the replies to it. So, if there’s an inappropriate comment and you reply to it with something eloquent and heartfelt, there’s a very good chance that your highly intelligent and meaningful comment will nonetheless be lost, and you’ll have only yourself to blame for that.
- Block User: You don’t like what they say or you have a beef with them but they did not break any rules here. You can just block them.
This document was last updated on October 01, 2021